When I got out of the water (the second time) there was a lot more activity on and around the beach- here people are bringing things to a memorial service at one end of the strip.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Kedungu
1st stop in front of the Ku De Ta hotel was too flat. The instructors couldn't tell me whether or not it was a play on words with coup d'etat.
This is a remnant from the holiday that celebrated everything made of metal- all bikes, motorbikes, and cars had garlands and palm decorations this past weekend:
We ended up going to to Kedungu where there was a beautiful long left:
My instructor Wayan and friend Mirja powered up with some peanuts before hopping in.
The waves were gentle, but really big. About 3/4 of the way through a session I got washed by a big set, and while under the water I noticed that my right leg suddenly didn't have the usual tugging feeling that happens when you lose your board. When I surfaced I saw my board hurtling 100m away towards the beach- I had a 15 minute swim/paddle in. Luckily my instructor had a backup leash so I was able to catch one more long wave before calling it a day.
When I got out of the water (the second time) there was a lot more activity on and around the beach- here people are bringing things to a memorial service at one end of the strip.
And here they are praying on the beach for the memorial service:
In the middle of the beach these women were doing each others' hair:
And at the other end of the beach the men were gambling:
When I got out of the water (the second time) there was a lot more activity on and around the beach- here people are bringing things to a memorial service at one end of the strip.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love that the men and women are doing such totally sterotypical things. I mean, what is more girlie than doing each other's hair? And what is more manly than competing with your friends to make a buck?
Post a Comment