Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Inauspicious arrival in Bali

Remember this post?

http://emilkastravels.blogspot.com/2008/10/is-this-minor-point-or-showstopper.html

Well, it does rain like it does in the movie Forest Gump- but it’s only for about 3-5 hours at a time.

My arrival in Bali was “meh.” I stayed in a hotel with a non-descript room, with the exception of this incredibly eco-friendly soap bottles filled with the most non-eco friendly soap on earth:
I walked to the beach at low tide and had a huge shock - it was filthy. The water to the top of the beach down to the water was full of wrappers, bottles, debris, absolutely the dirtiest beach I’d ever seen. I found out later this was because of the heavy rains and the overflow from the rivers, but it made me never want to go into the water in Kuta, which is the tourist trap part of Bali.

Somewhere between the hair dryer in Korea and now my hair morphed from being hip, flattering and chic to looking like someone threw dollops of foamy cool whip all over the place. It’s unruly and puffy a la Fred Savage Bed Head circa the Wonder Years.

Don’t fret gentle readers, things get better at surfcamp.

No comments: