Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Start of Galungan

Galungan, is the holiest holiday period in Bali, much like our Christmas week in the west. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galungan

It kicks off with men slaughtering a pig on a Tuesday morning. I saw a huge, white pig being dragged into the street post-slaughter on my way to the Green School yesterday. The preparations that went on for the rest of the day were extensive- Wayan was sent to buy certain decorations for the Penjor (you'll see pics of them below), as well as coconuts: Here the offerings are starting to pile up in the specially decorated area of Wayan’s house: Every adult was called into help, though I was told the women were up most of the night cooking & prepping: Here the neighbors were erecting their own Penjor, And you could see them outside most houses in Bali:
When I ask what people are praying about today, most answers are a version of "Good spirits triumphing over evil spirits." Here's to that!

No comments: