Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sacred Monkey Forest

I went to Ubud this morning for Galleries, the Sacred Monkey Forest, and Babi Guleng. I loved the decal on this moped parked outside the Ibu Oka Babi Guleng restaurant.
After nasty encounters with the Uluwatu monkeys (they stole my friend’s sunglasses and chewed them to bits) I was hesitant to go to the Sacred Monkey Forest in Ubud, but the cool temperature of the forest (& peer pressure) were enough to lure me in. It is considered a very holy site, full of many types of trees and an active temple: http://www.monkeyforestubud.com To my delight, the monkeys were a kinder, gentler group than I was expecting:




The most unnerving sight to me was this monkey sleeping in a tree- his expression to me was more human than his comrades who were awake.
And the funniest was that there was actually a sign pointing tourists towards rice fields. There are more rice fields in Bali than anything else. It’s like making a sign in New York that says “Skyscraper ahead”

And my favorite sculpture at the temple was this evil eye- watchout!

No comments: