Friday, November 21, 2008

Major Discoveries for the 3rd week of November

1) “Samantha Who?” is charming, and will replace the soon to be cancelled “Pushing Daisies” in my TV quota.

2) After kvelling about my mom’s pies to a few people, I discovered that a shockingly large percentage of my friends do/consume store bought pies for Thanksgiving. My family is so lucky.

3) Even though you may feel like no one is looking at you when you’re in a car in NYC, you are quite visible to bored people on buses looking out the windows. I have done the Superman many a time in my car, but going forward I will never change my clothes in the car next to a bus, given what I, and my bus-mates saw going on in a red Mini a few days back.

4) Any bus taken before 7am in NYC is just as good as an Express (Limited) bus.

5) For my friends looking immediately for marketing jobs, I have a company in need of you: This morning I saw a chocolate bar labeled “Pure Icelandic Chocolate.” That has to be among the worst naming jobs ever. Iceland has many wonderful qualities, including what I assume is a lot of purity, but I don’t associate icy-Iceland with fabulous milk (i.e. such as in Belgium or Vermont) nor with fabulous cacao beans (i.e. such as in Venezuela or Ghana) nor a particularly notable dessert tradition (i.e. such as France or Japan). On top of that, the chocolate was wrapped in dull grey paper with miniscule brown writing. As I was caffeinated this AM, I was chatty with my neighbors in the checkout line, and we all agreed we’d never touch the stuff. If the product hasn’t disappeared by spring, I’ll apply there too.

No comments: