Friday, October 31, 2008

Zaha Hadid

The colors in Central Park aren't quite at their peak, but there are a few fiery standouts.



An unusual standout these days in the park is the Chanel mobile exhibit designed by Zaha Hadid. She designs far out, fluid buildings, and not many of them are actually realized beyond scale models and drawings. This makes for great exhibits, such as the Gugg a few years ago, but it makes one hungry for the real thing. Below are some examples of her work:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/01/23/arts/20080123_HADID_SLIDESHOW_index.html

The art was very self-important, what was more interesting to me than the actual art was the way it was presented. Guests were given an MP3 player upon entry, and the timing set by the staff made it so that each visitor was staggered by 30 seconds throughout the exhibit. Zaha Hadid has a smoky, languid voice that lulled one into liking everything.

And of course, the best part was the actual building, and that was the only area where we were allowed to take pictures, so voila:

2 comments:

Camjay said...

I saw that exhibit too - not too impressed I have to say, but i agree with you that the building and the way the visit was conducted was impressive. And my favorite part was having Jeanne Moreau as our tour guide (it's her voice, not Zaha Hadid's). I listened in French and it brought back so many memories of Nouvelle Vague movies and Paris and the whole Chanel world...
So good tour, empty art, and not sure this elevates Chanel's brand in my opinion.

Emily said...

I had no idea- I totally thought it was Zaha Hadid- not Jeanne Moreau! You're giving me incentive to shuffle my netflix list to get in some Nouvelle Vague, m'dear.