Thursday, February 12, 2009

Arrival in BKK

This morning I flew Air Asia to Bangkok. The boarding passes are hilarious- they look like supermarket receipts!

My first impression of Bangkok was of the air. When I looked out the plane window I thought I was looking at the grey sea (the ocean can sometimes look grey in Bali) but it was actually the smog.

The other big impression was of the size of the roads- there are few highways in Bali, and in Bangkok there are elevated superhighways- I forgot was it was like to roll at 80MPH!

Before leaving, I was told there were still protests going on at the capital. Well, this was the closest that I saw to protesting – perhaps I didn’t have the right eye out for the news:

First order of business upon arrival was a Thai massage since my shoulders were surfed out. A tiny woman hoisted and stretched me all over the place.

The evening was capped by Pad Thai- pretty good, but not that different from NY Pad Thai- perhaps I’ll need to branch out a bit more culinarily to be wowed.

No comments: